Press "Enter" to skip to content

Delhi Police Constable Death: Delhi cop dies after two hospitals turn him away

NEW DELHI: Covid-19 claimed its first victim in the Delhi Police after 31-year-old constable Amit Kumar died at Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital on Tuesday.

Kumar, who was posted at Bharat Nagar police station in northwest Delhi, started showing symptoms on Tuesday afternoon. He was refused admission at two government hospitals before being taken to the RML hospital.

A member of our family, Ct. Amit made the greatest sacrifice in the fight against COVID. We pay our homage to this…

— #DilKiPolice Delhi Police (@DelhiPolice) 1588786562000

His colleagues, who drove him around in a private car, alleged that they informed the district control room and their seniors about Kumar’s deteriorating health, but received little help from them.

“We don’t know why we are risking our lives when no senior officers help us,” one of Kumar’s colleagues was heard talking to another policeman over phone.

10 who came in touch with cop isolated

They alleged that the SHO was spending the day with his family to celebrate his wedding anniversary when Kumar’s condition started deteriorating. They said when the SHO was informed, he told them to take Kumar to RML and asked others to go on quarantine.

“We are deeply saddened. We have sent 10 people who had come in contact with the constable on home quarantine. We will look into the allegations by the policemen,” said Vijayanta Arya, DCP, north-west, on Wednesday.

Unable to arrange for a police vehicle, a few colleagues drove Kumar from one government hospital to another, but were turned away. According to them, Kumar had started showing signs of symtoms and complained of fever around 11am while on duty.

Two of his colleagues rushed him to Baba Saheb Ambedkar hospital in Jahangirpuri where doctors refused to admit him, saying they did not have a quarantine facility. “We tried to convince the doctors to at least check him, but instead we were kept waiting for more than three hours, before being told that the hospital did not have the facility to treat him and we should go to a coronavirus treatment centre,” another colleague said.

He was then taken to Deep Chand Bandhu hospital where doctors at a corona detection desk provided Kumar with some medicines and asked his colleagues to take him to a quarantine centre, since the hospital did not have the facility. The colleagues waited at the hospital for Kumar to recover a bit and left after one and a half hours.

They left for RML around 7.30pm. But by the time they reached the hosiptal, Kumar had stopped breathing. His result came positive on Wednesday.

Kumar is survived by his wife and a child.

Source: Times Of India

(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)

Comments are closed.

Corona Newsline Supported by LiiFii Research Foundation.